Tuesday, January 23, 2007

siblings and fammilly

do any of you have siblings? how about younger siblings? well, i have 3 of them: one older sister, one younger sister, and one younger brother. i love them dearly, however, they are not Christians so we don't connect on many levels. for example: i am in seminary, which must mean that i think i'm a better and more holy person than they are. definitely not true, and those who know me well see how full of fault i am. and yet, while i find non-Christians are most unwilling to think better of Christians for having faith in the Lord, i find that they are more than willing to think worse of us when we screw things up. my younger sister thinks i hold everyone to high standards. this is untrue; i hold myself to a high standard but have no right to impose this standard on anyone else. naturally. and then there is the festering mess of my relationship with my depressed and emotionally volatile mother, with whom my younger sister gets along better and therefore presumes to tell me what to do and how to act around her. thank you very much, but i do not ascribe to secular and hopeless philosophies regarding mental illness. i strive to speak the truth in love, and i get hammered for it. hooray! and my mother is coming to visit in a few weeks. so, friends, pray for me. my sister tells me to not get my hopes up about this visit. what can i do? hope that we have a pleasant but shallow interaction for 3 days, or that we make painful progress in mending our relationship? curses! people are so complicated! why can't all relationships be as simple and *good* as the one we have with Christ?

No comments: