Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Coming of Age on Antidepressants



I stumbled across this article today in NYTimes.com. It raises some very interesting questions about the recent phenomenon of people being medicated (here, specifically for depression) since childhood and early adolescence. This is certainly something that requires redress, particularly if these people are medicated during crucial periods of development. How are we to gain a sure sense of identity if we have always been chemically enhanced? And what role does Christ play in this? This article is secular (naturally), but seeing as this very well could be a counseling issue, it is worth considering. It also forces us to consider the role of medication in our lives--do we view them as panaceas, cures, saviors? Tools, steps, helpers? Is this balanced within the Christian worldview? Are we identifying more with our psychological (medical, physical &c.) state than with Christ? Don't misunderstand me--I am not opposed to psychopharmacology. What I am opposed to is seeing it as the only way to "get better," "feel better," or "beat____". This leaves no room for Christ or dependence or trust in Him. Medication is merited if there is no way to progress or grow in our relationship with Him without medical intervention. I see it as a sometimes necessary tool during psychological trial, not as the cure-all that secular psychologists and drug developers set them forth as. Those of you who know me well know that I do not say this in ignorance of the very real impact of mental illness on daily life, so I apologize if this sounds insensitive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Impressora e Multifuncional, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://impressora-multifuncional.blogspot.com. A hug.

CHStevo said...

Thoughtful entry, cous! I love that you can speak with more insight on this issue than many seminarians because of your undergrad education. It's helpful!