Monday, October 8, 2007

the sun came through the clouds

this morning while I was driving home from work... I was waiting at a stoplight in front of Enfield Elementary as the kiddies ran across the crosswalk...and then the sun came out and I had to put on my sunglasses. I was listening to Sufjan's "Chicago (Adult Contemporary Easy Listening Version)." it was a lovely moment.
below, a photo I took during a rock climbing trip in college.

moments like these make me contemplative, and often remind me of things I've heard or studied before. what comes to mind is the hymn "Beams of Heaven," particularly the Indelible Grace version.

"Oftentimes my sky is clear,
joy abounds without a tear;
though a day so bright begun,
clouds may hide tomorrow's sun.

There'll be a day that's always bright,
a day that never yields to night,
and in its light the streets of glory
I shall behold someday.
I shall behold someday."

I confess impatience when the Lord asks me to wait. Those streets of glory sound so good...oftentimes I would much rather be there than here. And then He surprises me with little things like sunlight, or a cool night's walk, or a word of encouragement from a friend. I was just talking with someone about how we get frustrated with the seeming chaos of the world we live in. But the world is not as chaotic as we may think it to be...it is in fact quite ordered, ordered by a God who has the grand plan in mind. Besides, in a world that is completely unpredictable, how are we then surprised by things? No. the fact that the Lord planned things makes surprises possible...and welcome.

No comments: